How to create a password reset disk for a computer on a domain! Usually found on Corporate Networks!
Also See: How to Log on as an administrator to reset the password
Note that this procedure requires one blank, formatted floppy disk.
To create a password reset disk for your local user account, follow these steps:
1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE. The Windows Security dialog box appears.
2. Click Change Password. The Change Password dialog box appears.
3. In the Log on to box, click the local computer–for example, click Computer (this computer).
4. Click Backup. The Forgotten Password Wizard starts.
5. On the Welcome to the Forgotten Password Wizard page, click Next.
6. Insert a blank, formatted disk in drive A, and then click Next.
7. In the Current user account password box, type your password, and then click Next. The Forgotten Password Wizard creates the disk.
8. When the progress bar reaches 100 percent complete, click Next, and then click Finish. The Forgotten Password Wizard quits and you return to the Change Password dialog box.
9. Remove and then label the password reset disk. Store the disk in a safe place.
10. In the Change Password dialog box, click Cancel.
11. In the Windows Security dialog box, click Cancel.
- You cannot use the password reset disk to reset the password on another computer.
You can use the password reset disk that you create with only the computer where it was created. For example, if you have two Windows XP-based computers with the same user names and passwords, you cannot use a password reset disk that you create on the first computer to reset the password on the second computer.
- You cannot use the password reset disk to reset your domain account password.
You can use the password reset disk only to reset the local computer account password. If you forget your domain account password, contact your system administrator.
- The password reset disk contains sensitive information.
Others may use the password reset disk to gain access to your computer. Make sure that you store this disk in a safe location.