How to use the XP backup utility
The XP backup utility helps you create a copy of information on your hard disk. In the event that the original data on your hard disk is accidentally erased or overwritten, or becomes inaccessible because of a hard disk malfunction, you can use the copy to restore your lost or damaged data.
- To start Backup, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.
- The Removable Storage service must be started for Backup to work properly. For more information.
- You can also use the Automated System Recovery Wizard in the Backup utility to help you repair your system.
- For information about using Backup, click the Help menu in Backup.
Step by Step Backing Up Files using Backup Utility
This will help you to :
- Backup files and folders
- Backup system settings and data files
- Manually installing the Backup Utility
To backup files and folders using MS BACKUP in Windows XP:
- Click on Start.
- Click All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click Backup. Backup must be installed if not listed (See: How to Use Backup to Restore Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows® XP )
- Click Advanced Mode, and click the Backup tab.
- Click New (on the Job menu).
- Select the drives that you want to back up by checking the associated boxes. If necessary, expand the selected drive and check the corresponding box.
To backup system settings & data files (System State data, registry, boot files & etc):
- Click on Start, All Programs, and Accessories.
- Click the Welcome tab. If your media contains backups , click Append or Replace to append/overwrite a backup.
- Click Backup Wizard (Advanced ), and Next on the Welcome to the Backup Wizard.
- Click Only back up the System State Data, and click Next. Choose a place to save your backup, and type a name for the backup.
- Click Next, then Finish. A Backup Progress dialog box appears, and the backup starts. Click Close after the backup completes.
Manually installing the Backup Utility:
- Open Ntbackup.msi file from the Windows XP CD. It is located in the VALUEADDMSFTNTBACKUP directory.
- Run the wizard that installs Backup.
- When the wizard is complete, click Finish.